- 3 lbs. Fresh Chicken Wings tips removed
- Celery sticks and bleu cheese dressing
- Wood chips for smoking.
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 1 quart apple cider or juice
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups Anchor Bar Original Wing Sauce, or 1 ¾ cups hot sauce and ¼ cup butter ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Soak the wood chips in cold water for at least 1 hour.
- In a large stock heat the water, salt & brown sugar until dissolved. Add the apple cider. Once the brine is cold, submerge the wings in the brine and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Remove wings from brine, rinse, and dust with the rub. Let air dry in the fridge for at least an hour. Bring to room temperature.
- Set up a charcoal or gas grill for indirect cooking (one side on medium/low heat and leave the other side completely off). For a charcoal grill sprinkle wood chips over hot coals. If using a gas grill place the chips in a smoker tray or in an aluminum pan below the cooking grate on the lit burner. Place the wings on the grill.
- Cover the grill and cook the wings on the opposite side of the fire at approximately 225ºF for 1 ½ to 2 hours turning occasionally. Add more wood chips after about 45 minutes.
- When the wings are nearly add more coals to hot side of your charcoal grill. If using a gas grill turn heat on side away from wings to high. Transfer wings over direct the heat. Brush both sides with sauce and cook for about 2 or 3 minutes.
Serve with celery sticks and bleu cheese dressing.