Reverse Seared Tri Tip with Coffee Rub & BBQ Sauce
- 2 to 3 lbs. Tri‐Tip Roast
- Coffee Rub (See Below)
- Coffee BBQ Sauce (See Below)
- Red Oak chips
- Trim the fat cap from the tri tip to ⅛ inch.
- Rub the steak on both sides with the coffee rub and place on a rack in the refrigerator overnight.
- Set up a smoker to 225 degrees or a grill with 2 zone heat.
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator one hour before smoking.
- Place steak on rack in smoker or to cold side of grill.
- Add the wood chips to smoker or on the hot coals in the grill.
- Smoke the tri‐tip until it reaches an internal temp of 100‐110 degrees.
- Remove from the smoker and set on a rack in a sheet pan.
- Set your grill to 450‐500 degrees.
- Sear the tri‐tip on each side for 1 ó to 2 minutes.
- Cook to an internal temp of about 135 degrees for medium rare.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice against the grain.
- Top with the coffee BBQ sauce.
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 weeks
Coffee BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups minced yellow onion
- ¾ cup strong brewed coffee
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- In a saucepan over medium‐high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and cook until softened and beginning to brown, 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium‐low and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened and reduced to 1ó cups, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- If you prefer a smooth sauce, use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the sauce.