- 20 strips bacon (about 12 ounces)
- 2 pounds of alligator meat
- 1/2 cup Cajon seasoning
- 40 skewers
- Citrus brine (see below)
- Chipotle Barbecue Sauce (see below)
- Brine the alligator for 3 hours.
- Soak the skewers in water for an hour.
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until halfway done, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the gator from brine, rinse and cut into 20 equal pieces.
- Dust the meat with the Cajon seasoning.
- Wrap each piece with a strip of bacon.
- Use 2 skewers with bamboo through the point where the bacon ends meet to keep it from unraveling.
- Thread 3 to 5 pieces on each bamboo skewer.
- Grill 4 minutes, basting with the sauce.
- Flip; baste again about 4 more minutes.
- Serve with BBQ sauce for dipping.
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 cup of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
Place the salt & sugar in the water and mix until dissolved. Squeeze the citrus juices into the brine.
- 1 cup store bought barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons of chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
Puree the barbecue sauce, oil, lemon juice, mustard, chipotles, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and teaspoon freshly ground pepper in a blender. Set aside half of the sauce for dipping.