- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 (4‐ounce) fresh Walleye fillets
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons white pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup all‐purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp. whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 Weck Rolls
- 2 cups coleslaw
- Horseradish Tartar Sauce (recipe below)
- Season the fish with salt, and pepper.
- Set the flour in a small shallow bowl.
- Combine the eggs and milk in another shallow bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge the fish in the flour, shake off the excess and coat with the egg wash.
- Dip the egg washed fish in the panko and toss to coat evenly.
- Set a 12‐inch sauté pan over medium heat with the vegetable oil.
- Fry the fish in batches in the hot oil until golden brown, about 2 1/2 minutes on the first side, turn and cook an additional 1 1/2 minutes.
- Set the cooked fish aside on a paper lined plate.
- Brush the centers of the Kaiser rolls with olive oil and grill over medium heat to toast.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of the tartar sauce on each of the roll tops.
- Place ⅓ cup of the coleslaw on top of the sauce, and place a fish fillet on top of the toasted roll bottom. Place another 1 tablespoon of the tartar sauce on top of the fish and place the tops of the rolls on the sandwich.
Horseradish Tartar Sauce
- 1 stalk celery, strings removed, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cornichons or sour pickles
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat‐leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 6 tablespoons Homemade Mayonnaise, or prepared mayo
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl, combine celery, cornichons, horseradish, parsley, mustard, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.